Monday, January 31, 2011

My pickle rant.

So, I've made a pretty strict grocery budget for myself this month, and I'm determined to stick to it! It did mean that I was wandering around the grocery store with a calculator to make sure I was under budget. (And I was under by $14!)

Putting myself on this budget means I have to be conscientious about what items are important for me to get organic, and which ones are ok to buy conventional.

Which brings me to my jar of pickles. It wasn't a MUST-have on my list, but I love pickles on my sandwiches. The organic section only had whole dills, and they weren't exactly cheap. So I thought, it's just pickled cucumbers, how bad could the conventional ones be?

Well, the shelved ones (Vlassic, Wegmans brand) all had YELLOW dye in them. Are they serious? Why do we have to put coloring in PICKLES?!? I just don't get it.
Well, then I saw the refrigerated ones that had floating seasonings, and thought, these MUST be better! (These were the Claussen brand and Wegmans version). Well, no dyes here, but instead? High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Let's just say I splurged on the organic pickles. Next summer? I'll be pickling my own.

It's just amazing the stuff you'll find food coloring and HFCS in these days. Unbelievable.

~~** D **~~

No comments:

Post a Comment